Saturday, August 4, 2007

Happy friggin' birthday to me

Remember when you were a kid and how excited you would become about your birthday approaching? I remember when I was 12 I was excited about turning 13 because I would officially become a teenager. I also recall how excited I was about turning 18 because I was about to be an "adult". And, of course, how could I forget about how excited I was when I turned 21 because I could finally drink legally in the United States (however, I was in Turkey on my 21st birthday).

Ah yes, those were the days. But now, getting a year older just depresses the hell out of me. It just reminds me that my youth is over and I am just one year closer to death. Morbid thought, I know. I look around me and think about all of the things I should and shouldn't have done with my life. I feel like the clock is ticking fast and I am simply running out of time to do the things that I wish to do. Time is just moving too fast.

I made the decision not to celebrate my birthday with friends or anyone else because I don't feel like celebrating. Instead, I will probably get 6 pack, a pack of smokes, and wallow in self-pity on this day (and wish this day would pass really fast).

10 comments:

Infidel said...

Happy Birthday, my leo friend.... I hope you enjoy that 6-pack and quit smoking in your new year....

Cheers,

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday from Yerevan. Know how you feel, and not least because I just turned 39 and figured it was time to boycott such days -- even if they were my own, and friends tried to insist otherwise.

Anonymously yours, said...

Thank you Infidel'cim and Onnik.

Onnik, 39 hit me hard too. Boycotting really is the way to go!!

Anonymous said...

happy Birthday, you have the same birthday as my best friend!
He...life is not over!!!
Kindest

Anonymously yours, said...

Thanks, Hans. I hope your friend had a great birthday.

dilek said...

happy birthday! and i cant believe i say this again tonite (i wrote to infidel before yours..)

dont worry about the age numbers, also not when it comes to the younger-elder kinda thing.

have a great year:)

Anonymously yours, said...

Thanks, DBA. It looks like a big birthday month for Turkish bloggers!

Anonymous said...

i know exactly how you feel... I'm only 33 but the life expectancy of men in some 3rd world countries are not even 50 years old.. so i have hit a mid life crisis if i was living in a 3rd world country.. :(

New York Muhtari said...

happy belated bday.. I recently had my bday and did not want to celebrate it either.. wish I have known you, we could have celebrate it together.

Anonymously yours, said...

Happy birthday, NYM!! I wish we could have celebrated together as well.