Thursday, May 31, 2007

Blogging (Anonymously)

Seems that there are many people who choose to blog anonymously. And I suppose each person has there own reason as to why they do so. Why do I prefer to blog anonymously? I do it because I can write more freely, especially when it comes to writing about deeply personal stuff. But the truth is that everyone is anonymous.

Why do any of us choose to do this? What's the difference between telling close friends and family members about the day-to-day thoughts that runs through our heads versus writing thoughts about a host of issues for others to read (who are complete strangers)? I suppose that there are many reasons for this as well. I won't bother to speculate here.

For me, there is something cathartic about writing in general. It's always nice to hear other peoples' comments about the thoughts that we jot down. I welcome them, always. (Yes, even if if I'm not in complete agreement with the comments.) It's interesting to hear what complete strangers have to say because, unlike family and friends, bloggers don't know us well enough to tell us what they think we want to hear? I may be wrong about this. But I don't think so.

We disclose and expose parts ourselves little by little with each entry. I chose to chronicle the events, thoughts and observations of my daily life. In some ways, you may know more about me than those who are closest to me.

It doesn't really matter how much each of us reveals about ourselves in the "about me" section nor does it matter what we choose to write about ourselves. In the end, we still remain anonymous to the rest of the world. We give a sense of who we are to the reader, but they will never really and truly know the real "us". You will never really know how I conduct myself on a daily basis. Nor will I ever know who you really are. But strangely, there is still some mysterious connection, nonetheless. I feel like I know you by what you have had to say.

I look forward not only to writing, but to reading what is of interest to you. It tells me a little bit about the person you are. What I can't figure out about you, I fill in the gaps with my imagination which more than likely has me drawing the wrong conclusion about who you are. I wonder if we ever came face-to-face if we'd measure up to being what we had imagined. But we all know that that day is not likely to ever come along. But still, I wonder.

2 comments:

super hero said...

in the icq days when people would find you randomly and chat, sometimes what had started as a small conversation suddenly became a very sincere friendship. i guess the same can be applied to msn too, but i am no more interested in that stuff anymore so i have really no idea how to find people at random in msn. but the thing is, you would start to reveal yourself to a stranger more than you would do to your close friends, until the day you realize that you have told too many already. thats the time when you start to draw back and in the end, finish the friendship.

Anonymous said...

I wonder if there exists such a thing as 'identity theft' within the anonymous community. Pretty soon, even being anonymous will be synonymous with voyeurism of the hidden kind?

Sometimes even 'real' people can reveal the truth about themselves just by painting a facade on which they add a layer of graffiti.

Have I been drinking? or should I join 'commenters anonymous?'