Sunday, May 20, 2007

My 3 Bosses: The Axis of Evil

Recently we had a departmental meeting where one of my boss's slammed the work that was being handled by my team. She all but announced that it was I who almost dropped the ball on an assignment we were given. I was stunned that her criticism was so darn public. From that point forward they began to scrutinize everything I was responsible for. I felt as though I was being harassed without good cause. It wasn't fair, but they would spin things in such a way that had me looking as though I really was incompetent. To comfort me, some co-workers said that this was their modus operandi: to select someone in the department and give them hell for a period of time until they have had their fill, at which time they would move onto their next victim. What's the deal with people like this?? So much for good management skills!! All I know is that they have left me feeling deflated and demoralized.

In a face-to-face meeting with one of them, I said that the environment I working in was rather unjustly punitive and militant. I was surprised to hear my boss say " well maybe you are not a good fit for this organization". I said, "you may be right".

The truth is that I enjoy working with the people that I have to deal with on a day-to-day basis. They have my back and we have great chemistry. Should I let these nitwits run me out of this organization when I like almost everyone and everything else about the environment? But it's become too stressful to look over my shoulder everyday wondering what they may use against me when the work itself is challenging enough.

To feel better about myself, I sent out a couple of resumes and had an interview this week. I was scheduled to interview with 3 different individuals for this new organizations. The first 2 people made me feel comfortable and it went really well. The final interview was a different story. This person was one of the directors and had the final say about my fate. She grilled me with her expressionless face. At no time did I feel that we had connected until I was on my out the door and she asked, "do you speak any other languages?" I said, "yes, I understand Turkish and I speak it a little". There was a very long and awkward pause and she actually lit up and said, "I've been to Turkey. What a beautiful country!" Ah, what a relief!! We had finally connected.

I'm really torn out leaving my current job, but the powers-that-be are making it unbearable for me. Should I stay or should I go now?

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

The truth of the matter is that no matter where you go, there you are, and so are the idiots of the world... there are too many to escape. So yes, explore your options regularly but lower your expectations as the idiots of the world are in the vast majority. My brilliant cousin once told me to always have a plan! On the other hand, you like your colleagues, so bond with them for professional and social satisfaction. The ideal scenario, ask for a private meeting with the manager from hell and request a confidential performance review... taking the initiative to align expectations may be all you need to convert the axis of evil into mere mortals... managers are not perfect and the reality is you have to manage up as much as they manage down the org chart. Love, D.

Anonymously yours, said...

D,

Thanks for the advice. Today was a "good" day, and I think the Axis of Evil may have actually moved on to someone else they can irritate. At least I'm hoping so.

Unknown said...

you have a really anonymous profile...a pity.
btw, I, as a Dutch, made the bold move from Miami to Istanbul.
No regret.

Anonymously yours, said...

Hans, I wish that I had your your courage! I can't imagine moving to a foreign land and making all of the adjustments that go along with it! I hope that you are enjoying Istanbul!!