Tuesday, June 5, 2007

Ageism

Do you know that I would rather speak of my life's most painful events rather than to discuss my age? Yup, I'm that sensitive about it. It's a very, very touchy subject for me. Most people don't ask my age and I allow them to believe whatever age they think I am. If forced to, I will lie about it. I never understood why both men and women would lie about how old they are. That is, until now

What's the big deal about it? Ageism. It very much exists. It's a fact that older people have a tougher time landing a job, finding a mate and generally being seen as attractive by others. Are you with me on this? Guys: would you date a woman who was say 5 or ten years older than you? Women: same goes for you. Are you okay with dating or being in a relationship with someone 10 years your senior? Probably not. It was okay for me to date a 35 year old when I was 25, but now I look for men who are either around my age or are younger.

The only way to be considered young at the age of 40 is if you die at the age of 40. Then people will say, "How tragic. They were sooo young." But if you are alive and kicking at 40 what you may hear (if you are lucky) is "you look good for your age". Let me translate that for you: You are old. It's just a sad reality that we all must face someday.

Then there those people who try to make you feel better by saying things like "age is just a number". Yes, 40 is a number and it's a big number. Or how about this one: "it's not how old you are, it's all about how old you feel". Please stop saying these things, it just like pouring the salt directly on our open wound.

Yes, it is true that we get wiser as we get older, but I do fail to see any other advantages to aging. I wish to stay forever young!

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

So I take it you're 40? :)

Unknown said...

you sound like now someone of Miami: 30 plus doesn't count...
fyi, i am 49, just discovered that 2 weeks ago...))

Switch said...

If the "was" points to 25 then if it is now today, you must be max 26, right? :)

Anonymously yours, said...

DBA, Yes, I have been 26 for a very, very long time now!!

Idil, I'd rather have a root canal than to type that number.

Hans, I'm still going to Miami (South Beach) where the young and beautiful hang out and play.

Unknown said...

South Beach, Miami: is for the retired people. And some spring break students..))
Watch your ass at Lincoln Boulevard. Brickell Bay is cute, so other places, like Coconut Groove....

Anonymous said...

All I know is, "they" say 40 is the new 30. I am not sure who are the 'they' saying this, but I imagine 'they' to be men in their 60s who have nothing better to say.

As for men, and not speaking for myself as the 'lone' representative, 'they' tend to be going after younger women with each passing year. The reason can be attributed to men's real age in maturity years being equivalent to say dog years.

At this rate, we'll see female children dating men old enough to be their grandfathers. While the grandmothers have their fun with 'some' men young enough not to realize this trend (yet.)

What a wonderful world!

Anonymously yours, said...

Metin,

I really like "them", whomever "they" are! Anything to ease the pain of getting older.

Anonymous said...

You do become wiser as you grow older, but youth rocks.