Sunday, June 17, 2007

Reach Up and Touch the Sky

That's what you want to do when you attend a Southside Johnny concert. It also happens to be the name of one of his songs. We were lucky enough to get tickets to one of his shows next weekend and I can't wait. I can't wait to hear his soulful voice and that amazing horns section of his band. They will be playing out at BB Kings which is a fairly small venue.

I fell in love with this band back in the early 80's when he was playing pretty often down the Jersey shore at the Stone Pone and the Fast Lane. He has a gift when it comes to engaging his audience and having you feel like you are part of the band.

It's not uncommon for him to have other well known artists appear at his gigs. In fact, Springsteen has shown up in the past. So has Miami Steve Van Zandt (you may know him from the Sopranos). Ronnie Spector has also shown up as has Nils Lofgren.

I was talking to friend of mine who is my age and we discussing how nights out like this one makes us feel younger. I've spent most of my life going to see live bands. There really is something about it that takes you back in time, if even for a short while. So next weekend, I will be lost in his music. If only that feeling could last.

No comments: