Friday, June 15, 2007

We Are Not Perfect. Admit it!!

You know you're at least a tad bit nuts. So just admit it. I know you are somewhat crazy and so do you. I've have no issues with having issues. I have boatloads. I was born with them and have learned to even embrace some them over the years. Being neurotic is normal; pretending to be sane and stable is NOT normal. Or is it? I just don't know. I am nuts. Remember?

I love being around people who can be self-deprecating and not fearful of others seeing their vulnerabilities. We ALL have weaknesses. It fascinates me that some people have such a difficult time in saying things like "I don't know" or "I don't understand". Why is it that we can't simply let others know or see that there are things we just plain suck at. What's the worst thing that can happen? Why are we so afraid to allow ourselves to be seen in an unfavorable light? Why are some people so damn insecure? And what is wrong with feeling insecure?

I have some co-workers who will never say, "Oops! I screwed up". And if my saying that makes others around me feel "superior" in some weird and twisted way, then fine. I'll be the one to take the hit and move on. It just fascinates me that some folks have such a hard time with fessing up their imperfections. I'm drawn to those that can easily speak of their imperfections and flaws. These are the people that I find to be more sane and stable AND more interesting. Plus, I trust them more because they are not trying to hide anything. They are an open book. And I like that. They are also hard to come by.

Can we stop censoring ourselves so much. We make mistakes. We say and do stupid things. We all screw up sometime. We are human. And to hell with those who sit on their high horse and judge us. Why is it that we are we all so darn afraid of failing? What's the worst thing that will happen if someone sees that we are not perfect? Why is it so hard to say "I screwed up". Why are we supposed to walk around and act like we are flawless?

7 comments:

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymously yours, said...

For sure Americans are competitive. I have co-worker that are such back-stabbers, that they will lie and place blame on others before ever admitting that it is they who screwed up. And then they try to make everyone else look inferior.

I am also tired of people who sit back and judge other people's way of choosing to live. We are all different. At least I am willing to admit that I am not perfect and have many, many regrets in my life. But at least I don't blame other people for my own problems. (okay, I"ll stop my ranting right here!)

Thanks for listening!!!

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
dilek said...

I was actually thinking about the same today when I had a long walk. Funny, I came home and saw this post of yours. I like it.

"Sterilising" incidents, personalities, relationships, perceptions is what I see most of the people do.

(Well, I used to do that myself I must confess..)

Anonymously yours, said...

DBA,

I guess we are all guilty of trying to put on our "normal" face. But we are all screwed up in some way. At least, that's my own little opinion.

Unknown said...

At least I admit to lying about my imperfections, of which there are none.
:)

Anonymously yours, said...

Metin, I respect your being honest about lying!!