Thursday, June 21, 2007

Bulent


Well, folks, I don't know what to say. I went out with Bulent tonight who really did turn out to be a really nice guy. I came home from work, took my make up off and was preparing to have a nice time just watching the tube and relaxing. At about 8 p.m., Bulent called me by surprise and said he was in my area and asked me if I wanted to meet up with him for drinks. Being the lazy piece of crap that I am, I first said no. Then I thought, "oh, what the hell", and I slapped on some make up, got dressed and met him.

He turned out to be a nice person but the conversation didn't exactly flow in my opinion nor was I attracted to him all that much - which is not to say that he wasn't attractive. But I just wasn't feeling it, if ya know what I mean.

We talked about religion (he is an atheist and I'm spiritual/agnostic). We didn't quite agree with each other about the subject matter. I had to bring up the age issue as well. On his profile he said that his ideal match would be between 25 to 35. He is 43. Come on! How many woman out there at the age of 20-something are even interested in a guy in his 40's? I said, "Bulent, I am 6 years older than your cut-off age. How do you feel being with me knowing that I'm in my 40s?" He answered that question diplomatically by not really answering it at all. Men are just odd creatures that I don't quite seem to understand.

But here's the part where we agreed on an issue that made me think that maybe this guy is for me: He doesn't believe in getting married and that marriage is what kills most relationships. I don't know if it was that statement or the Coronas I was drinking that made him suddenly more attractive to me. Like me, he likes being in an exclusive relationship that need not necessarily lead to marriage. My God! Have I met the man of my dreams after all?

I get up at 5:30 in morning and told him that it was getting late and that I really needed to start heading home. He said, "do you really feel like wrapping things up?". I had to because I need sleep to function at work. But truthfully, I did not feel as though we had much chemistry. I think that I will see him again since he and I did get along okay. But "okay" was all that it was. Anyway, I'm glad that we hung out together for a short while and sucked down some cold brews.

He kissed me on the cheek and off I went. It was a pleasant evening minus any fireworks. I loved that he was so honest in his answering my questions (except the age thing). I never got the impression that he was trying hard to impress me (which impresses me). So we shall see if the next "date" is less awkward for me. God damn this dating crap is so complicated!!

6 comments:

New York Muhtari said...

well at least the first meeting answered some of your questions, right?

One of my friend got married through match.com (actually a lot of ppl I know) but let's focus on this one for now: She dated day & night, she dated fab guys, crapy guys, guys who cannot talk a few decent words, guys who does not stop talking etc... but she never gave up hope... finally she met the prince charming and happily ever after blah blah. When asked about the bad dates, she said even for those she was thankful (not at the time but long after that) because they helped her to appreciate when she met her husband.

If you have the time & the energy, I believe online dating is great.

Anonymously yours, said...

We all have to live in hope but I got to tell you, I'm running pretty low on it right now.

A friend of mine who used to be on match.com and encouraged me to try the online dating thing repeatedly tells me to just bag the whole thing. He seems to think I'll have more luck finding the right person while I am waiting for my train platform on my way into work. Who knows?

At least some of these dates make for good stories.

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
New York Muhtari said...

I did my share of online dating with a guy for over 6 months and we later broke up. One of my friend was so inspired by our relation (where we were not), she said she will go ahead and put her profile to a website. true to her word she created an online profle and 6 months later, guess what, she was married wt this amazing guy (he is a doctor, handsome - yep just like Vedat) and now they are such an amazing cpl.

As much as I try to ignore it, I hear more and more ppl going for dating through virtual world.

as for Vedat, he sounds to good to be true, Hans... I asked about money back guarantee, will there be any?? ha ha ha a

later guys.

Unknown said...

ha....we are waiting for your picture...)))
That must at least a starting point or not?
Kindest

monidibb said...

"Men are just odd creatures that I don't quite seem to understand."

Oh, yes....!I gave up understand...they are too simple to be understandable...and usually at 40, 50 years old, they only want teenagers (at least, most of them).