Friday, June 22, 2007

Racism

It's an ugly thing born out of ignorance. I have been on the receiving end of it by some Greeks and Armenians right here in good old America. Do I hate all Armenians or Greeks because there were a few bad apples in the bunch? No. I like who I like because of their character, not because of their ethnic origin. If you are good to me, chances are I will like you. But that does not seem to be the case for some.

So I am going to share this story that makes me sick to my stomach and you can tell me your thoughts.

A few years back, I was hired to work for an organization where I was to share an office with an Armenian. When we first met, I had no idea that she was Armenian but, as it would turn out, she knew ahead of time the new hire (me) was a Turk. She knew this because she was told my name before I started working there. (I have a very, very Turkish name).

Apparently, when she found out that she was going to be sharing an office with a Turk, she became livid, to say the least. She, like the Armenian propaganda machine, immediately got to work in telling everyone that we would be working with that Turks committed a genocide against Armenians. She basically said that we Turks were barbaric, not to be trusted, were vicious, blah, blah, blah.

Needless to say, there were some people at the job that did not receive me all that warmly, initially. I was at a loss - and at a disadvantage. It was not until I learned that she was Armenian that it all began to make sense. Some of my co-workers noticed that she was rather cold towards me and when I asked them what her problem was, one person remarked, "well, it might have something to do with your ancestors killing off her ancestors". I quizzically scratched my head and said "what are you talking about?". Another co-worker fessed up and said that when she learned that the new hire was a Turk, she began telling everyone at work about all of the terrible atrocities that were committed by the Turks against Armenians (and by God, she was pissed). It disgusted her that she would have to be around a Turk.

Needless to say, I had to do a whole lot of damage control not only to defend Turks, but to defend myself as well. I went into the history - the real history - between Turks and Armenians. It pissed me off that I was put into that position at the workplace. My focus at my new job should have been the work. But because of this racist pig that I worked with, I had to explain crap to my co-workers that had nothing to do with work. And all I really cared about was the work. But nooo...

Here's the kicker: She was fresh out of graduate school whereas I was coming into this position with substantial experience. Where she could not win was that I was the better employee and she knew it. She actually started coming to me with questions about work because she didn't know squat about handling some situations that were second nature to me. And yes, I did help her when she asked for it.

And, over time. I gained the respect of those whom she desperately tried to turn against me. She eventually came around herself. About one year later we were having lunch in our office and she stunned me when she blurted out, " ya know, I didn't think that I could ever like because you are a Turk". "Just knowing that they hired you (a Turk) made me go crazy". And I can never forget those racist words.

7 comments:

Unknown said...

i like to concentrate on the ending to the story. all's well that ends well. As Elie Weisel once said, "we will forgive but we will not forget!"

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymously yours, said...

I left out the ugly details of what this Armenian person put me through during my first year at this job. It was HELL! And why? Because I was born a Turk!

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

Well kudos to you for the way you handled it. I might have done the same. But at some point, I think I would have reported this act of racism/hatred to my superiors. This behaviour is inexcusable and should be tolerated, just like Jews choose to pursue a zero tolerance policy re anti-semitism. And I would confront her with the fact that you know what she did. And I guess I would not have assisted her because I don't believe people like her are capable of change. If the roles were reversed, I doubt she'd have shown mercy. All this to say perhaps that you are a better person than I:)

super hero said...

it is not a big secret that amenians hate turks. this is not a paranoid assumption but a fact. i think what you have achieved is partiuclarly important. i think the only way to get rid of this kind of racism is interaction. if people know each other maybe they will see they dont have to hate each other.

so yours is a success story. we know that there is at least one armenian who saw that a baseless hatred against turks is unnnecssary. so how many do we have left? err, six millions?

Anonymous said...

Hi there,
I was googling on the web for turkish singles website, when I came across your blog, and got fascinated reading. Thank you very much for writing this. I am a Turkish girl from Bulgaria, living in the USA. So, on the subject on racism - welcome on board! I shall say that sometimes it feels like everybody hates us. So I always say I am Bulgarian (even in Bulgaria), and only if the person has gained my trust as no prejudiced and broad-minded I will tell that I am Turkish. It helped me go through school and University being at the top of the class, and here in the USA having armenians and others that naturally hate us, not only help me but even became my friends. Sometimes it feels like a spy, but the goal justifies the means:)) Plus, it is easier to build a friendship when there is no prejudice wall to destroy first.
Hope this helps to other Turks finding their way up!!
GO TURKS!
H.O.