Monday, June 4, 2007

Self-disclosure

I was once married to guy named Marc Bailey. Ladies, I am giving you his full name because in the unlikely event that you should come across him, RUN! I mean, run like a bat out of hell!

We both met at an alumni homecoming at the our alma mater. Although we attended the school at about the same time, our paths did not cross until many years later. At the social gathering, we met through a mutual friend. There were no "sparks" no "fire works", nothing. I was not attracted to him and we had little in common apart from having graduating from the same university.

You see, I did not even want to fly out for this event because I was in a deep and dark depression from losing someone close to me. That person's passing threw my world upside down. I spent a lot of time alone and felt no desire to socialize or do anything for that matter. After about a year of being a social recluse my friends and family began to worry because I had shut myself off from the world. At my friends urging, I got on a plane and I was off to Pittsburgh.

They thought that being in a familiar environment and with close friends may help me to get out of the funk I was in. I was going to be my closest friends. What harm could possibly come from that? Plenty.

I met my ex-husband the first day of this 3 day long event. I was a lost puppy and in need of some serious rescuing. Enter Satan, I mean my ex-husband. He was the perfect predator; and I, the perfect prey. He was soft-spoken and seemingly kind and generous. I had completely misjudged him and his true character.

He was living in Connecticut at the time and commuting 2 hours a day to see me. I actually knew then that he was bad news but I weak and vulnerable. After only 4 months of dating and one month of being engaged, we got married in Sin City. I would not recommend marrying in Las Vegas unless you are drunk out of your mind. But I was already out of my mind.

Marc played football at Pitt and is 5'11 and weighs in at about 250. I am 5'3'' and weigh in at about 105. As it turns out, Marc had anger issues and when he was explosive, I could not defend myself. Exactly one week after we married, he gave me my first black eye. I immediately called the police and he was arrested and I obtained a restraining order. What honeymoon! But it didn't end there because like all batterers, he "changed" and appeared remorseful and was just as sweet as can be...until his outbursts. It was a vicious cycle that I got caught up in and found difficult to escape since I was functioning on half a brain.

Here's how we know that people don't change. After a year long marriage, I filed for divorce. During the divorce proceedings, I learned that Marc's first wife also had a restraining order against him. Their marriage was also brief, lasting a mere 6 months. Had I known this, I absolutely would not have married him. I was still smart enough to know that people don't change. God only knows who he is beating up on now.

As a side note, I just wish to add, for those that asked me about my marriage and the events that unfolded assumed that I was married to a Turk and would say things like" I guess it's a cultural thing" "A cultural thing?", I would say, "he's American". People actually looked surprised and in some cases embarrassed (as though domestic violence doesn't occur in America!

Like many of you, I never could have imagined that I would be a victim of domestic violence. Not with my personality make up. No way! But I'm here to tell you that if you are making life decisions from a position of weakness, it can happen to anyone.

My marriage ended 5 years ago and I have no visible scars. But today I know the telltale signs of an abuser, and I can spot one coming a million miles away. There are lots of Marc Bailey's out there, unfortunately. And ladies, they select their victims very carefully. Beware. If it can happen to someone like me, it can happen to you. Any guy who is the least bit controlling has it in him. Steer clear and move on.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am totally going to fly you over each time I have a new date. You will be my 'screwed-up-moron' scanner. I'm sorry you had to go through something like that. It's a threat for all of us.

Unknown said...

wow...
Tough story. Is he jailed by now...
In fact, there is a lot of violence in America...visible nd invisible...but you can feel it everywhere...
Be aware, revealing someone's name on i-net can be ddangerous: I know that Canada have strict privacy laws in this...
Be carefull.

Anonymously yours, said...

Idil, I'd be happy to fly over and evaluate your new dates.

I am sure you are more grounded than I was back then. But if you have any suspicions about a guy, just let me know!

Hans, that was a tough story to tell because I had to re-live it to some degree. But I thought it was an important one to tell.

Marc got out of jail only after a few days. It wouldn't surprise if he were to have been arrested again for the same offence. Looks like he has a history of being abusive and violonet.

As for the privacy laws...there are literally thousands of "Marc Bailey's" in the U.S as it is a very common name here. I don't know what the laws are about it here in the U.S, but you make a good point. Thanks.

Anonymous said...

Names of such people SHOULD be published. And as far as I know, there are no restrictions. At least on the reverse side when someone's good name gets splattered all over the net and there isn't anything she can do. Case in point: Pole vaulter Allison Stokke of Newport Beach, whose attorney dad I know. Her only crime? She's 18, attractive, and a magnet for the YouTube pervs.

New York Muhtari said...

OMG I am so sorry to hear that you had go through this.

But thanks for sharing this, I am sure there are thousands of them waiting for their next victim.
It could happen to any of us.

since Idil is so far away, would you be willing to scan my dates "" :-))

Anonymously yours, said...

Well...I'm not exactly Ms. Relationship success, but I'll do a quick assessment and background check for you.

Get their social security number. Though I'm not sure how to bring that up in a casual conversation.

If you figure a way out to do that, PLEASE share it with me!!