Sunday, June 24, 2007

When Harry Met Sally


When I was out last night with my friend of 20 years (Rob), I told him that Bulent from Turkish Personals said that he felt that it was absolutely impossible for a man and a woman to just be friends. Rob and I both disagree. Rob and I have had a 20 year friendship and at no time were we romantically involved.

Rob went on to list all of the female friends that he has and said that there was never any sexual tension with any of them. My situation was a bit different. My male friends had at some point either sent signals showing interest in being more than just friends. And some of my male friends flat out said that wished to take the friendship to the "next level". However, my declining their advances did not end the friendship. I don't know what that says about the gender differences.

What ultimately has ended some friendships with men over the years was their new significant others' inability to accept me as their boyfriends female friend. It wasn't my male friend that ended the friendship, it was always their new girlfriend - or worse - their new wife.

I believe that men and women can just be friends so long as both are single. Once either gets romantically involved, it becomes the kiss of death for their friendship. I have to admit, even though I myself have male friends in my life, it would bother me to know that the guy I was romantically involved with had close friendship with a woman. I don't know why. But I just know that it would. The only thing that could possibly change that for me is if she turned out be a just as close a friend to me as well. Again, I'm just guessing here.

9 comments:

Unknown said...

"I believe that men and women can just be friends so long as both are single. Once either gets romantically involved, it becomes the kiss of death for their friendship."

Is that statement also true if the two friends are romantically involved with one another?

Can friendship and relationship co-exist? Or is one the 'next-level' for the other?

And what happens when a relationship ends but the friendship is required to continue?

Why am I asking so many questions?

Anonymous said...

Oi, achei teu blog pelo google tá bem interessante gostei desse post. Quando der dá uma passada pelo meu blog, é sobre camisetas personalizadas, mostra passo a passo como criar uma camiseta personalizada bem maneira. Até mais.

Anonymously yours, said...

And what happens when a relationship ends but the friendship is required to continue?"

This has always been a tough one for me. Even though there have been cases where I would have wanted to resume a friendship after the break up, there have been guys who have said to me "I can't just be friends with you anymore, given our history". But it's important to bare in mind who is ending the relationship. If one party still has romantic feelings for the other after the relationship ends, I don't believe it to be possible to remain friends, unfortunately

Anonymously yours, said...

And does anyone undersatand what Rodrigo just said??

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

One of my best friends ditched me because his new wife/bi*ch thought of me as a threat. She's lucky I didn't track her down.

Unknown said...

you guys have to stop hanging out with married (or involved) people.

hang out with me instead!

i make a great friend. and i'm starting a new company called, 'rent-a-friend-when-yours-is-gone-dot-com'

:)

Anonymously yours, said...

Metin,

Sign me up!

And don't you live a million miles away from us??

Unknown said...

i'm a few hours away by plane. jet blue is great!

and the weather is nice. 80s and no humidity with pacific ocean breezes.